Tuesday, April 24, 2012

On the Definition of Autism


It's not the fault of the Autistic that Neurotypicals don't understand them. Neurotypical empathy is DEFINITELY not the be all end all of empathy. Not all Autistics ARE locked in their own world. Lots of Autistics are placed in a box by lots of people who only see /they're different from me. I can't understand them./ That's the truth of it. IF neurotypical empathy was as good as neurotypicals seem to think it is, they'd be able to empathise with everybody, Autistic and otherwise.

Autistics and autism are NOT bad. They are part of humanity, of the human condition. It's an alternate way of seeing the world and communicating with what all you come across. Neurotypicals do not empathise with it, and if they did, the logic of calling it Autism would disappear. If Autism comes from a word that means 'alone' and Autistics were empathised with, they would not match the original meaning, for they would not be alone. The accuracy of calling it Autism, of even calling it more disabling than normal would disappear. Because if Autistics were all empathised with, they could be taught better. That would change everything.

Maybe you're not seeing something about your previous autism. It's not that wretched from my angle. But, nobody knows everything, and it's even really hard to know everything about a given region of thought or knowledge. But, seriously, look outside the box. It's really no one's fault, and Autism (or Neurotypicality and all the other brain differences) isn't really all that bad.

Humanity has it's flaws, weaknesses, and short comings, like all other blemishes in this imperfect world. But there is Hope, in the realm of Autism, and all humanity, with belief. And that is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Live Long and Prosper! I am an eccentric. I like Jewish/Hebrew music, focusing on whatever special interests I have, especially if it concerns my friends. Quintessentially, I love my gifts from God. I dislike it when people dislike the lives of their own children, and torture them in the name of training and treatment. My dreams for the future are to become a Professor, writer, wife and mum. May the Force be with you!

Followers